Travel Tales and Pictures

Travel Stories and Photographs by John.

Thursday

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Pictures enlarge if you click on them.
Houses on a canal street in Amsterdam

A canal in the middle of Amsterdam.

My first trip to Europe was a business trip that included stops in Amsterdam and Tokyo. I took one day of vacation and left for the trip one day early so I could enjoy the weekend in Amsterdam.



Amsterdam houses on a canal street

It was a long flight from San Francisco to my first stop in London. As the plane was approaching London, we were put into a holding pattern over the city for five minutes. As a result, for the first time I could see the city of London; including the Houses of Parliament, the London Eye, Tower Bridge, etc. from the air.

On the ground at London Heathrow, I caught a bus to go from one terminal to another. It was my first time to ride in one of the famous London buses and to ride in a vehicle on the left side of the road. Even though I was tired from the long flight, I still enjoyed this short trip between terminals for my first time in Europe.

My next flight was on a British Air flight to Amsterdam. I sat next to an Australian gentleman who was originally from the Netherlands and had an interesting conversation with him.  
Amsterdam houses on a canal


Another canal in Amsterdam.

When I arrived at the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, security was tight with security guards with automatic weapons. All the signs were in Dutch and English and I easily navigated the process to pick up my luggage and proceed through customs. I immediately went to an ATM in the airport and picked up some Euros. So far things were very easy.
Businesses on an Amsterdam street


House boats on an Amsterdam canal
Bike rush hour in Amsterdam.





Use the search box at the bottom of this page to find previous postings on London, Amsterdam, Japan, Germany, Austria, Yellowstone, New York, Boston, Switzerland, Alps, Plymouth Mass., Washington DC, San Francisco, Manila, San Diego or Quebec.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Google

8 Comments:

Blogger Berni said...

Really nice pics. so clear and detailed. What type of camera do you use?

December 18, 2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger John said...

Hi Vic,
For most of my trips I have been using a Canon 35mm SLR and a Kodak Easyshare digital for backup. For the New York Trip I purchased a Canon digital rebel XT. All the shots from Amsterdam were on 35 mm film that I later scanned into a digital format.

December 18, 2006 9:19 PM  
Blogger Gabriela Martinez said...

What a beautiful place. Here in Brazil, there's a soap opera which has been shotted in Amsertdan. I wish I can go there someday. Nice pics. :)

December 28, 2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger GMG said...

Hi John,
Long time since your last post. Is everything ok?
Take care
Gil

March 04, 2007 2:03 AM  
Blogger John said...

Hi Gil,

Sorry about the lack of recent postings. I have just been very busy at work. I am flying back up to Seattle tonight, but I don't think I will have a chance to get out. As soon as I have some free time I will get back to posting.

Best regards,

John

March 05, 2007 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John,
Good work.
Look forward to seeing you back...
All the best
Gil

March 07, 2007 4:14 AM  
Blogger GMG said...

Hi John,
Everything OK?
Well, no news is good news, but 6 months away from Blogosphere is too much time...
All the best
Gil

September 19, 2007 1:07 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hello from New York! These pictures are so nice. I wouldn't mind going there.

October 02, 2007 11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home